People do a lot of things on the hit television series Downton Abbey. They arrive at the door in Rolls-Royces, ride around on hunting horses, flirt with each other, say naughty things to each other, hand their coats to butlers, serve food, eat food.
But that’s not all. If you turn the sound off, ignore the plot and simply watch what happens on the screen, you are going to notice something useful about Downton Abbey...
You can see dozens, if not hundreds, of precious metal items in every episode of the show
Why Are We Writing about this in Today’s Post?
It’s because watching Downton Abbey can alert you to all kinds of antique precious-metal items that you can find if you’re shopping online, at antique stores, at estate sales . . . just about everywhere old metal items can be found.
Here’s a checklist of items that we noticed during just one episode of the show:
- Women on the show wear gold bracelets, brooches, tiaras and jewelry of all kinds.
- Both men and women wear gold rings.
- Both aristocratic men and male servants carry gold pocket watches, fobs and chains.
- Food and beverages are served and consumed from sterling silver platters, silver soup tureens, silver-rimmed punchbowls and silver-rimmed glasses.
- Food is dished out onto gold-rimmed and gold-decorated plates.
- Food is eaten with sterling silver tableware.
- Men’s shirts are equipped with gold cufflinks and studs.
- Paintings on the walls are displayed in gold leaf-decorated frames.
- The walls in some of the rooms are covered with gilt leathers and paper.
- Men and women wear eyeglasses and monocles with gold frames.
- Royal and military men arrive in uniforms that are decorated with gold insignias, brocade and epaulets.
- Aristocratic men and women carry canes that have silver and gold handles.
- Elegant coats have gold or gold-toned buttons.
- Men’s smoking accessories include silver-trimmed ashtrays, gold or silver-ringed cigar holders and lighters.
- When men gamble, they pull old gold coins out of their pockets and throw them on the table.
If You Find those Riches when You’re Hunting for Gold . . .
Call Specialty Metals Smelters and Refiners at 800-426-2344 and talk to us about having your discoveries tested and processed. Be sure to mention our blog and ask about free or discounted shipping costs when you send your items to us for testing.
How the “Romance Factor” Can Distort the Perceived Value of Gold
How to Get Top Dollar for Silverware and Gold Jewelry
Why Big Dollars Could Be Hiding in Small Quantities of Silver Tableware
What We Found while Hunting for Precious Metals on eBay