Silver scrap is a unique item in the world of recycling. In most cases, it isn’t found in a neat shiny bar or piece that a refiner can weigh and then say, “This is half a gram, and it is worth X number of dollars.” In most cases, silver scrap comes in forms like these...
- A pile or container full of silver filings, mixed in with other materials like dust, bits of lead or solder, and who knows what else. Nobody can put that mixed lot of metals on a scale and cite a firm dollar value.
- A mixed up batch of silver-plated items like tableware. Some of those pieces are thickly plated with silver, others not. Some of them might even be pure sterling silver. Again, nobody can weigh them and give you a quick dollar value.
- A bunch of end pieces and melted bits of silver solder. Again, it can contain carbon, lead, and many other materials. Who can just look and know what they are worth?
Enter the Profiteer
When you look for a quick estimate of what mixed batches of silver scrap are worth, chances are very good that you are going to get low-balled. It isn’t always the case that the recycler you are talking with wants to take advantage of you. He or she just wants to make money up front, not after investing a lot of time and effort to correctly test and evaluate what you have. If the silver you hand over ends up being worth a lot, then the “expert” you went to makes a nice profit. If not, he makes a little money, but still something.
There Is a Better Way
When you have silver scrap to sell, you need to be talking to a company like Specialty Metals Smelters and Refiners… and we’re not making you an empty, hard sales pitch when we say that. There are some very solid reasons why we should be the company you choose to handle all your recycling and refining needs:
- We test before telling you a value. We explain how we will test your silver scrap before we test it and tell you what it is worth, then give you the option of using our services or not. If you choose not to use our services, we return your silver to you. Testing is the only way to tell what your items are worth. We don’t pretend otherwise. It might take a little more time, but you end up knowing what you really have.
- We have been in the business for decades, not weeks. Our reputation is your assurance that you will be paid what your silver is worth.
- We have the best credentials and certifications in the business. We are longstanding members of the Jewelers Board of Trade, we have been rated by Dun & Bradstreet, and we are an accredited business of the Better Business Bureau. Those credentials speak for themselves.
- In many cases, we can offer you complimentary shipping on silver that you send to us for testing and evaluation. So when you call to ask for free advice on what you have and what your options are for recycling it, be sure to ask.
Are You Ready to Talk to the Pros?
Give us a call today at 800-426-2344 and let us explain how the process works. Why give away that 25%, 40% or 50% of what your silver is worth to a middleman? Your money belongs in your pocket, not theirs.
Selling Silver or Platinum? How to Avoid Getting Ripped Off
Why You Can Make More Money than Ever by Recycling Silver
Three Easy-to-Overlook Sources of Silver Scrap
Platinum Sterling: What You Need to Know about this Precious Alloy