What will you find if you go to eBay and search for “gold,” “platinum,” “silver,” and other precious metals? It’s an interesting and potentially valuable experiment that can lead you to discover sources of precious metals that weren’t on your radar.
Here are some of the surprising items that we found . . .
Some results of our eBay Search for Gold . . .
- Covers for Kleenex boxes
- Compacts and lipstick cases
- Religious medals, crucifixes and mezuzahs
- Fountain pens and mechanical pencils
- Commemorative watches of many kinds
- Rings, earrings, pendants, pins, and charms for charm bracelets
- Pins from service clubs such as the Masons and the Kiwanis
- Blazer buttons
- Zippo lighters
- Commemorative medals and coins
- A gold-plated set of bar tools
- A gold-covered wooden Buddha
- A set of gold-filled demitasse coffee spoons
Some results of our eBay Search for Silver . . .
- Silver-plated punch bowls, plates, and tableware
- Silver bullion bars that celebrate and commemorate events
- A set of silver casino tokens
- Silver buttons
- Religious coins and medals
- Lighter and lipstick cases
- World War II military collectables
- A set of silver lids for Mason Jars
Some results of our eBay Search for Platinum . . .
- Ballpoint and fountain pens
- A set of antique fountain pen nibs
- A vintage platinum box for carrying condoms
- Commemorative buttons and pins for Harley-Davidson motorcycles and other products
- An old platinum pin given to member of The Order of Lenin (USSR)
- Old platinum-edged razor blades
- A platinum cigarette holder
A Worthwhile Exercise
The virtual “field trip” that we took to eBay to search for precious metals turned out to be worthwhile. We had never stopped to think that old fountain pen nibs could be made of platinum, for example, or that covers for Zippo lighters were made from gold and silver. And what about gold-plated covers for Kleenex boxes?
Interesting, right? And possibly valuable too. If you own an antique store or are cleaning out a house, doing your own search on eBay could help you discoverer items that could be more valuable than they appear.
How to Get Top Dollar for Silverware and Gold Jewelry
Finding Value in Cutlery from the Golden Age of Silver Electroplating
Do You Own Silver-Plated or Pure Silver Items? This Online Encyclopedia Helps You Identify them Fast
What Is Karat Gold and How Can You Find Out What Yours Is Worth?
Why Big Dollars Could Be Hiding in Small Quantities of Silver Tableware