Did you know that some thermocouples contain gold and gold alloys? They are highly specialized, not the kind of thermocouples or thermocouple wire that you can pull out of old stoves or air conditioners. They are usually used in laboratory settings to measure low to moderate temperatures.
If you acquire even a small quantity of them, be sure to call us at 800-426-2344 so we can help you determine what they are worth. They are well worth recycling.
Case Study: A Platinum/Gold Thermocouple Manufactured by Isotech
To get a sense of how high-tech gold thermocouples can be, visit the website of Isotech, a British thermocouple manufacturer. One of the company’s thermocouples, made of gold and platinum, is designed to accurately measure temperatures between 0 and 1,000° C. This thermocouple is so specialized and valuable that it comes in its own cushioned carrying case, sort of like a custom-made pool cue!
To quote from the product description:
- The construction allows for differential expansion of the Gold and the Platinum by having a coil of platinum bridge the two thermo elements at their measuring junction.
- All materials are selected for their purity and high quality.
- All parts are pre-aged and annealed prior to construction.
- There are no joins between the measuring and reference junctions.
- The reference junction is also researched and we use thermally pure copper wire of selected diameter which has been pre-annealed in inert gas.
Where Will You Find Gold Thermocouples?
Granted, thermocouples made of gold and gold alloys are rare. Still, you might find them in testing labs or in factories that manufactured specialized chemicals.
If you do find thermocouples or thermocouple wire and want to know whether it contains gold, platinum or other precious metals that are worth recycling, inspect them carefully and look for any numbers, manufacturers’ names, or other markings. Then call us at 800-426-2344. We’re here to test what you have found, extract the gold and other precious metals that they contain, and turn your old thermocouples into cash.
Interested in Thermocouples and Thermocouple Wire?
Why Used Thermocouple Wire Is a Top Candidate for Profitable Recycling
How to Claim the Cash that’s Hidden in Used Equipment Containing Thermocouple Wire
Smarter Recycling: Don’t Overlook the High Value of Noble Metal Thermocouples