Urban legends are stories – usually untrue - that are so weird that people keep repeating them and sending them around via email. They tend to take on lives of their own – some people even think they really happened. There are even urban legends about precious metals. Here are three we have heard…Read More
Silver bullets have figured in legends, TV shows and movies for years. The Lone Ranger, a hero from the early days of TV, fired silver bullets as symbols of justice and honor. Golden guns have been the stuff of legend too. One example? In the film “The Man with the Golden Gun,” an evil assassin named Scaramanga, who packs a golden gun, is trying to shoot James Bond. Are there really silver bullets and gold guns that you should be on the lookout for? Can you find some in antique stores or for sale online, buy them at low prices, and recycle them profitably with us? Let’s take a closer look.Read More
Have you thought of investing in silver, gold, or platinum bars? If you haven’t, maybe you should. Bullion is one of our favorite precious metal investments. Bullion offers important advantages to serious investors, for a lot of very good reasons . . .Read More
We don’t have a crystal ball that lets us see what precious metals you now own – either in bullion, in materials that you haven’t yet recycled or elsewhere - but we’re willing to guess that most of your metals investments fall into the mid-term category that FINRA defines: you’re going to have them for between three and 10 years, so they should be investments that offer stable long-term growth.Read More
If you have been waiting to recycle or sell silver until trading prices rise, we invite you to consider a Specialty Metals Smelters and Refiners Pool Account. Our Pool Account offers significant benefits, including the ability to sell your silver when prices rise in the future.Read More
What will you find if you go to eBay and search for “gold,” “platinum,” “silver,” and other precious metals? It’s an interesting and potentially valuable experiment that can lead you to discover sources of precious metals that weren’t on your radar.
Here are some of the surprising items that we found . . .
Some results of our eBay Search for Gold . . .
- Covers for Kleenex boxes
- Compacts and lipstick cases
- Religious medals, crucifixes and mezuzahs
- Fountain pens and mechanical pencils
- Commemorative watches of many kinds
- Rings, earrings, pendants, pins, and charms for charm bracelets
- Pins from service clubs such as the Masons and the Kiwanis
- Blazer buttons
- Zippo lighters
- Commemorative medals and coins
- A gold-plated set of bar tools
- A gold-covered wooden Buddha
- A set of gold-filled demitasse coffee spoons
Some results of our eBay Search for Silver . . .
- Silver-plated punch bowls, plates, and tableware
- Silver bullion bars that celebrate and commemorate events
- A set of silver casino tokens
- Silver buttons
- Religious coins and medals
- Lighter and lipstick cases
- World War II military collectables
- A set of silver lids for Mason Jars
Some results of our eBay Search for Platinum . . .
- Ballpoint and fountain pens
- A set of antique fountain pen nibs
- A vintage platinum box for carrying condoms
- Commemorative buttons and pins for Harley-Davidson motorcycles and other products
- An old platinum pin given to member of The Order of Lenin (USSR)
- Old platinum-edged razor blades
- A platinum cigarette holder
A Worthwhile Exercise
The virtual “field trip” that we took to eBay to search for precious metals turned out to be worthwhile. We had never stopped to think that old fountain pen nibs could be made of platinum, for example, or that covers for Zippo lighters were made from gold and silver. And what about gold-plated covers for Kleenex boxes?
Interesting, right? And possibly valuable too. If you own an antique store or are cleaning out a house, doing your own search on eBay could help you discoverer items that could be more valuable than they appear.
How to Get Top Dollar for Silverware and Gold Jewelry
Finding Value in Cutlery from the Golden Age of Silver Electroplating
Do You Own Silver-Plated or Pure Silver Items? This Online Encyclopedia Helps You Identify them Fast
What Is Karat Gold and How Can You Find Out What Yours Is Worth?
Why Big Dollars Could Be Hiding in Small Quantities of Silver Tableware