If you’re emptying an old factory that produced products that contained metals, chances are good that you will discover wire that contains precious metals. You might find coils of it in storage areas. You might find little rolls of it hiding in drawers. Unless the previous owners labeled their supplies carefully or the wire is still in its original packaging, you have very little way of knowing what kind of wire you have. Because you can’t tell with the naked eye, you should call us at 800-426-2344 and send us some samples for testing.
In today’s post, let’s quickly review what you might have on hand, based on the kind of manufacturing facility that you’re searching through.
- Gold, silver and platinum wires used in jewelry production or repair
- Platinum, silver, and other metals found in thermocouple wires
- Silver found in welding rods and wire
Metal Fabrication and Welding
- Silver in welding and brazing rods and wire
- Gold wires used in the manufacturing of circuit boards (you should look for thin gold films too)
- Platinum wire used for probes (vessel stands made of wire are common too)
- Gold wire used to manufacture bridges and other dental devices
- Silver wire, silver alloy wire and silver soldering wire
- Platinum wire, platinum-plated copper and other wires used in probes
- Platinum in thermocouples used to monitor and control temperatures remotely
Automotive Service Centers
- Silver in brazing and welding rods
Medical Device Manufacturing
- Platinum and platinum-alloy wires used in the manufacturing of pacemakers and other devices
- Platinum, cadmium and other metals found in thermocouples used to remotely monitor and control the temperatures in kilns and other production equipment
Not Sure What You Have? Call Us to Find Out
Evan a small quantity of wire can be worth a lot of money. If you are not sure what you have, give us a call at 800-426-2344. One call to one of our precious metals experts can answer your questions.
High Heat Equals High Value
Why Used Thermocouple Wire Is a Top Candidate for Profitable Recycling
How to Claim the Cash that’s Hidden in Used Equipment Containing Thermocouple Wire
Where Can You Find Thermocouples? A Quick Checklist for You